Saturday, September 28, 2013

A summer filled with painting

I've done a lot of painting this summer, more than usual, and I  think its important to keep it going while I can.     Any creative person knows that you go through dry spells, blocks where you just don't have the time or energy or for whatever reason your heart just isn't in it.

I paint what I feel like painting, whether its tropical scenes of Exuma, local scenes outside if the weather is nice in Steveston, or abstract paintings just to take a break from the realism.

I like the challenge of commissioned work, it forces me to push myself a little harder knowing someone else has expectations of what they want the finished piece to look like.  

Its expensive to paint though, tubes of watercolour paint for each painting may be 50 dollars, more or less depending on the size of the piece.     Brushes if you look after them really well, can last for years, but eventually they do wear out and the bristles dwindle away.

I am running out of room for my drying paintings though and my next purchase will be a drying rack, where I can let the pieces dry without damage.    I guess most Artists dream of that perfect studio, where they can leave paper, canvas, and brushes set up and ready to go at any time.     But I think most Artists aren't that lucky and find there own spots at home, where they hope no one will move or touch anything in progress.    


A recent abstract painting of a dancer, dancing away from someone, something.

Joanne


No comments:

Post a Comment